Satellite view from space looking down to earth as the sun rises

August 1st was Earth Overshoot Day

We’re now living beyond our means.
Past #EarthOvershootDay, humankind has already used all of the planet’s ecological resources and services that nature can regenerate in the entire year.

Humans are currently using 1.7 Earths. This means that as a species, we are currently using up nature’s resources around 1.7 times faster than the planet’s ecosystems can regenerate them, through our consumption rates and a growing population.

In some countries like the US, it’s as many as five Earths. Through our modern rates of over harvesting of forests, use of transport and emitting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, we are pushing ecosystems past regeneration point.

Some countries passed their individual overshoot day months ago. Check the diagram below and see where you live measures up.


Since the day started being observed by Global Footprint Network, this is the earliest point in the year on which it has ever fallen. In 1970, humans didn’t use up more resources than Earth could renew until late December. By 1997, the overshoot date had moved back to late September.

By August 1, 2018, we consumed a whole year’s worth of the planet’s bounty. Starting August 2, we began to drain the earth’s savings account. We can only deplete our natural resources for so long before the reserves are gone.

Climate change is an unavoidable, inconvenient reality. 97% of climate scientists endorse the position that humans are causing global warming. The other 3% probably work for oil companies. Earth’s average surface temperature has risen 1.1℃ since the late 18th Century. Millions of people, pounds and producers are working tirelessly to adapt to climate change, as the consensus is that it is going to continue if we don’t intervene.

We must work hard to make the world a better place, preserve wildlife habitat, support rainforest communities and stop corals bleaching.

None of us can live with the alternative.

Here’s how you can reduce your ecological footprint. If this inspires you to make a change, here’s some ways to help in the global movement to reduce your ecological footprint and #MoveTheDate.

Further reading

Independent, 2018

Business Insider UK, 2018

NASA: Climate