If any of us fail to act in a way that is consistent with our values and behaviours, we fail as an organisation.
Cool Earth’s work is based on deeply held values and principles. It is essential that the commitment to our partners’ rights and humanitarian principles is supported and demonstrated by all members of staff and other representatives.
The Code of Conduct provides clear guidance on what we expect of our staff and other representatives, as well as providing examples of conduct that will always be unacceptable. It is the responsibility of us all to ensure our behaviour is consistent with the values of Cool Earth, set out in the Code of Conduct.
As an employee or representative of Cool Earth, we are expected to promote its values and principles and protect its reputation by:
- Respecting the basic rights of others by acting fairly, honestly and tactfully, and by treating people with dignity and respect.
- Maintaining equality in the workplace and working to high standards of personal and professional conduct.
- Protecting the safety and well-being of myself and others.
- Protecting the organisation’s assets and resources.
- Reporting any matter that breaks the standards contained in this Code of Conduct.
Cool Earth does not tolerate the following:
- Discrimination on the grounds of age, race, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity or disability.
- Engaging in sexual relations with anyone in our partnerships or the Cool Earth organisation, or abuse or exploitation in any way.
- Exchanging money, employment, goods or services for sexual favours.
- Drinking alcohol or use any other substances in a way that adversely affects your ability to do your job or affects the reputation of the organisation.
- Being in possession of, or profiting from the sale of, illegal goods or substances.
- Accepting bribes or significant gifts from governments, beneficiaries, donors, suppliers or others, which have been offered as a result of my employment.
- Undertaking business for the supply of goods or services to Cool Earth with family, friends or personal contacts or use Cool Earth assets for personal benefit.
- Behaving in a way which threatens the security of ourselves or others.
- Using the organisation’s computer or other equipment to view, download, create or distribute inappropriate material, such as pornography.
This Code of Conduct draws upon several policies, listed below. If you have any questions or comments, please contact us.
Prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse policy statement
Cool Earth will not tolerate sexually abusive or exploitative acts being perpetrated by our employees, volunteers on anyone associated with the delivery of our programmes. Employees and managers are bound to uphold this policy and to report or incidents that they believe contravene it. Managers have a duty to ensure that allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse are investigated and that appropriate disciplinary measures are taken.
Safeguarding policy – children and vulnerable adults policy statement
Cool Earth believes that a child, young person or adult should never experience abuse of any kind. We have a responsibility to promote the welfare of all children, young people and adults and to keep them safe. We are committed to practice in a way that protects them. The aim of our safeguarding policy is to keep children and vulnerable adults safe by providing a framework to ensure a safe environment for them, whilst contributing to the prevention of harm or abuse and the protection of those individuals who are identified as suffering or likely to suffer harm from any such risk to their safety, health or well-being, whether at work, at home or in the wider community. This policy applies to all staff, including senior managers and the board of trustees, paid staff, volunteers, interns, or anyone working on behalf or in the name of Cool Earth. Read our full safeguarding policy here.
Anti-harassment and bullying policy statement
Cool Earth Action is committed to providing a working environment free from harassment and bullying and ensuring all staff are treated, and treat others, with dignity and respect. Any allegation of harassment or bullying will be dealt with in a robust and timely manner with fairness and sensitivity.
Grievance and whistle blowing policy statement
Earth is committed to conducting our business with honesty and integrity and we expect all staff to maintain high standards. Any suspected wrongdoing should be reported as soon as possible. Individual policies outline procedures for raising concerns but ultimately Cool Earth’s Grievance Procedure and Whistle Blowing Policy will support anyone wishing to raise a formal concern regarding any suspected misconduct or malpractice.